Faculty of Law
The Faculty of Law is seeking students to acquire a broad-ranging cultural understanding of law and politics, an ability to solve problems at a level in accordance with the demands of the increasing specialization of today’s society, and the capacity to contribute to the international community in the field of law and politics in today’s rapidly globalizing environment.
The Faculty of Law accepts students with the following qualities:
- A common understanding and knowledge specific to social sciences.
- An outstanding ability to understand and communicate in the Japanese language and in foreign languages.
- An outstanding abilities in logical and scientific thinking.
- Enthusiasm for acquiring specialized knowledge in law and political science while making use of the aforementioned abilities.
- A desire to work in the international sphere and actively make use of specialized knowledge in law and political science in a broad range of fields.
Graduate School of Law
Educational objectives for the following programs are listed below.
The Master's Program offers the following programs: Academic Program, Advanced Studies Program, Recurrent Program for Those with Working Experience, and Legal Recurrent Program for Practicing Lawyers. The Doctoral Program offers the following programs: Academic Program, and Advanced Professional Expert Program.
- Academic Program (Master's Program) : This program’s objective is to develop the next generation of researchers who will engage in research and education at institutions and universities in Japan and other countries.
- Advanced Studies Program (Master's Program): This program’s objectives are to help students acquire knowledge in law and political science and to cultivate problem solving skills beyond the baccalaureate level, which are necessary responses to the rapid advancement, sophistication, and fluidity of information in Japanese and foreign societies and the growing diversity and complexity of social issues.
- Recurrent Program for Those with Working Experience (Master's Program): This program’s primary objective is to cultivate practical, applied, and comprehensive problem-solving skills to address legal and policy issues emerging in today’s rapidly changing society. Based on the understanding that legal practitioners cannot solve these issues alone, this program's secondary objective is to provide recurrent education to working adults and students interested in law and political science.
- Legal Recurrent Program for Practicing Lawyers (Master's Program): This program’s objectives are to accept students qualified as professional lawyers and to enable them to extend and specialize their activities through education and research in highly specialized and advanced fields.
- Academic Program (Doctoral Program): This program’s objective is to enable students to deeply explore specialized areas of research following their completion of studies at the professional and master's levels. Students cultivate a comprehensive knowledge of law and political science as well as problem-solving skills.
- Advanced Professional Expert Program (Doctoral Program): This program’s objective is to enable students develop the ability to independently resolve issues in law and political science emerging in today’s increasingly sophisticated and diverse society based on research and a mastery of knowledge from their master's and professional degree programs.
Based on the above objectives, the Graduate School of Law accepts students with the following qualities in its programs:
- Academic Program: Students with significantly outstanding competence and knowledge to become future researchers and educators in law and political science at research institutions.
- Advanced Studies Program: Students with the qualities and ability to advance their own academic achievements in law and political science at the baccalaureate level.
- Recurrent Program for Those with Working Experience: Students capable of acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary for resolving practical issues in law and political science in society at large, or students with social experience, capabilities, and an incentive to undergo recurrent education based on their own interest in law and political science.
- Legal Recurrent Program for Practicing Lawyers: Students qualified as legal practitioners with the ability and an incentive to acquire knowledge in specialized and advanced fields and to apply their research in future professional activities.
- Advanced Professional Expert Program: Students with the potential, social experience, ability, and incentive to become professionals with advanced expertise for specialized involvement in the practice of international law and in society at large.
Department of Professional Legal Education, Professional Degree Program
Professional legal education in Japan presently faces a demand for growth both in quantity and quality. Due to the diversification of society, technological progress, globalization, and market economy expansion, Japanese society has great demand for a large number of legal professionals with highly advanced capabilities. The Department of Professional Legal Education upholds two principles and objectives in its education.
The first objective is to provide students with fundamental knowledge essential for all legal practitioners and training for the practical application of this knowledge. Although extensive knowledge is vital for all lawyers working as law experts, the department aspires to train legal professionals to apply such knowledge in a variety of real-life situations.
The second objective is to provide students with extensive knowledge and application skills in business law, the cutting-edge field pertaining to corporate transactions and activities.
Due to the growing sophistication of technology and markets, economic transactions have grown in complexity, making legal disputes extremely complex. The department aspires to provide education in a wide range of legal fields to train students to deal with such disputes.
In order to achieve these objectives, the department's mission is to accept students with outstanding qualities and a strong incentive to learn and to train them as legal professionals with the necessary advanced capabilities through its faculty's sophisticated educational and research capabilities.
The Department of Professional Legal Education accepts students with the following qualities:
- Sufficient advanced knowledge and skills in natural sciences, humanities, or social sciences, unrelated to the practice of law, the ability to become a legal professional with advanced skills (comprehension, interpretation, analysis, and communication), a strong incentive to learn, and the capacity to operate in an increasingly globalized legal environment.
- Basic knowledge and skills related to the practice of law necessary to become a legal professional as well as a strong incentive to learn and the capacity to operate in an increasingly globalized legal environment. In addition, either extensive knowledge and skills in social sciences, including basic principles of law and politics, or extensive knowledge and skills in natural sciences or humanities.
- Extensive social experience and the ability to apply such experience in the study of law, the ability to become a legal professional with advanced skills (comprehension, interpretation, analysis, and communication), a strong incentive to learn, and the capacity to operate in an increasingly globalized legal environment.